We are searching for a VP Engineering. At StormSensor, our customers are our reason for being. Our objective as the engineering team is to create brilliant, differentiated products that delight our customers and ensure that StormSensor remains at the forefront of climate tech innovation.
You love talking to people about water and are passionate about helping cities adapt and thrive in an uncertain climate future. Communication skills are paramount as your job is to work within and between teams, from software development to the Board of Directors. Most of all, you want to delight our customers through both their product experience and their working relationship with StormSensor, and you enjoy seeing people succeed – with your help, of course!
In addition, you are:
- Naturally inquisitive. Curiosity is a strength!
- An excellent communicator with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to solve any problem you put your mind to, or at the very least you can figure outthe best person to solve that problem.
- Convinced that anything is possible! It’s just a matter of figuring out how.
- Comfortable being uncomfortable. You have the courage to get through toughsituations and tough times.
- A mentor. You can communicate collaboratively with everyone, both team membersand customers.
- Able to ask for and accept feedback gracefully and effectively.
- Able to bounce back from failure and realize you’re not in this alone.
- Egoless (or at least as much as is reasonable for a human to be). You’ll make mistakes,you’ll fix mistakes, you won’t judge others’ mistakes, and you’ll grow from eachexperience.
- Comfortable working remotely and managing remote teams.
- Willing to travel to work directly with key teams and team members approximately once each month.
- Develop, direct, and maintain a system to manage all engineering programs and projects, including a rigorous review process, in order to ensure that we meet key milestones and adhere to product specifications, timelines, and budgets.
- Lead the engineering teams to promote a high-performance, results-driven environment.
- Support Marketing & Sales in developing a strong product pipeline and a portfolio of products that are differentiated and provide competitive advantage for the company.
- Formulate and implement the long-term strategy with respect to new and emerging technologies that advance company objectives.
- Attract, develop, and retain top talent for the engineering function, while motivating staff to continually improve its performance.
- Drive all R&D aspects of Intellectual Property (IP) to ensure Freedom to Operate, working with lawyers, designers/architects/scientists, as required, to write/submit patentable inventions.
- Manage university and other external research collaborations.
- Create and manage the operating budget.
- Ensure that the engineering team provides technical assistance to other departments.
- 8+ years of experience in progressive software/hardware/IoT leadership roles within companies that develop, manufacture, and sell SaaS/IoT products.
- Strong technical knowledge and vision and have a demonstrated history of leading engineering teams in the development of new SaaS/IoT products, bringing these products to market on time and within budget.
- Bachelors or advanced degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mechanical/Electrical or equivalent.
- Integrated software and hardware system engineering and project management skills.
- Experience in setting and scaling the research and development function, with theproven ability to attract, inspire, motivate, and retain exceptional talent.
- Proven ability to establish, articulate and implement a concrete product developmentstrategy that clearly aligns with corporate and commercial goals.
- Experience with distributed teams and business partners.
- Water/wastewater industry experience is not required, but it is considered a plus.
- Fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
Benefits & Perks
- Salary + equity
- Unlimited paid time off
- Remote work + tight team
- Passionate, collaborative, and generally awesome co-workers
- Comprehensive benefits package, including a 401K and company-sponsored healthinsurance
To apply: email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “VP Engineering” in the subject line.
Note concerning travel during COVID-19 pandemic: StormSensor is considered an essential service provider (water/wastewater) and continues to travel to customer cities during the pandemic. We follow all CDC guidelines to ensure the safety of our team and our customers.